Monday, September 24, 2007

what to cook for ifthar?

When I saw the green can of ghee oil, I remembered the recipe that Seela Devi had patiently tutored me last year. It's called Chicken Varuval. I was excited to try the recipe that I had bought the ingredients almost immediately.

So, today I had decided to try the recipe before the ingredients expire. The first thing I did was fry the cashew nuts that I was supposed to pound into a paste with some poppy seeds. The nuts were changing colour fast and I already had doubts. Nevertheless, I was optimistic. I pounded the not so crunchy nuts with the poppy seeds. Opened up the ghee, fried the initial ingredients. The aroma of ghee against the star anise, cloves, cumin, cinnamon sticks were mesmerizing.... Then I added the chicken, the turmeric powder, the chili powder and the paste as I had written in my recipe book. Unnoticed, Trey the stray persian had eaten half of the unused ghee. Pressure mounted when the clock showed 640pm. Din had to come back during my making of the Chicken Varuval. Din's face changed as my Chicken Varuval blackened. "THIS IS HOW CHICKEN VARUVAL SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE" I lied true my teeth in a very high pitched voice.

Well, I don't think Chicken Varuval was supposed to look like it did. It did taste "blackened" if you concentrate enough. Fortunately we did finish up the chicken with the help of my many cats.

The verdict : I am gonna call Seela Devi tomorrow, pretty damn quick!

3 comments:

rainmaker said...

aaiiizzz....now m hungry.... i'll go daun pisang @ bangsar lah today...

aiz said...

i am glad that my unsuccess story of chix varuval makes you hungry... hahahahaha! itu yang tak jadi... kalau cerita yang jadi...... emmmmm apa akibat dia nanti eh????

Anonymous said...

I was reading this with empty stomach .....siap ada okestra lagi minta nak makan...su mesti jadi susela devil kan? ross